Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recycled, Reclaimed, Reinvented: Art & Neon

As I was reading my trusty AAA magazine I came across in their "worth a drive" section, which I think we should rename worth a bike ride or a transit ride, an announcement regarding a Neon Art Exhibit entitled: "Recycled, Reclaimed and Reinvented: The Neon Art of Bill Concannon." Not only that I did not realize that LA has a Neon Art museum but I am fascinated by art out of recycled materials. The exhibit is meant as a commentary on consumerism. Here is a quote from the artist, with information about the museum to follow:

"
In reference to our consumeristic culture, Concannon says "for a long time, it's tickled me that glass is at once a very precious (pound per pound) fine art medium and also a thoughtless, throw-away material: no deposit - no return."

Many of Concannon's sculptuShow Announcementres also form a narrative collage where he comments about consumerism, politics, and the erotic psyche. Examples are the swirling neon man stuck in a jar with the phrase "Pickled Punk," the GWH Bush as arcade fortune teller with a button to press that switches neon lights from the words "White In Men Power" to "WIMP", or the subliminal erotic installation called "Gump's Peony," "Sausage," and "Hoop," that has neon tubes covered in plastic shopping bags. Concannon comments, "let's face it, on some level neon is trash, or at least comes from a trash culture. One of the few 'reuses' of plastic shopping bags is to hold your garbage. No one loves plastic bags, but when you look at them in this piece they're strangely beautiful."



The Museum is located in DT LA at 136 W 4th street between Spring and Main, with $5 student admission and $7 general. It is closed on Monday and Tuesday, but open all the other days from noon-6pm (5pm on Sunday). I encourage you to go check it out! I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment